Face-to-face counselling and psychotherapy, in Hebden Bridge, near Halifax, West Yorkshire, HX7…
For couples therapy; relationship skills and attachment problems; anger management; stress management; physical and mental health coaching; habit building or habit change; confidence building; anxiety and panic problems; grief and depression; lifestyle coaching; assertiveness training; and general body-brain-mind integration…
“If you have a difficult problem with which you are wrestling; and you are doing that wrestling ‘in your head’, instead of on paper, then you will suffer enormously, and in vain. You cannot solve significant problems through a process of introspection or rumination. If you try to solve your problem on paper, you will have a much better chance of success. But some problems require that you have your brain-mind engaged with the brain-mind of another person. Problems of social-emotions, relationships, attachment issues, and many more, fit this category where you need another mind to help to jointly-regulate your mind. That is the great virtue of all forms of counselling and psychotherapy. And, of course, the quality of the mind of the counsellor plays a huge part!”
Dr Jim Byrne, Doctor of Counselling and creator of Emotive-Cognitive Embodied Narrative Therapy (E-CENT)
Updated on 19th August 2021
Face-to-face counselling in Hebden Bridge has resumed…
To celebrate the ending of the Covid-19 lockdown rules, and to acknowledge the current financial difficulties that we all face, I am offering two reductions in my fees, for new clients who commence counselling with me after the 12th August:
- The first is that I am reducing the cost of my Enhanced Main Service from £300.00 to £180.00. (Therefore, for the next several weeks, you can get one round of my Enhanced Main Service – which consists of: two face to face meetings, plus 5 or 6 follow-up psycho-educational documents – for just £180.00). This represents a saving of £120.00 for each round of this service that you undertake.
- And the second reduction is that, when you complete two rounds of my Enhanced Main Service, you get the third round free. This represents a saving of a further £300.00.
- So if you complete three rounds of my Enhanced Main Service, then you will save £420.00 (for new clients, for the next few weeks only).
Counselling is a wonderful 20th century invention, according to Dr John McLeod; and our system is a wonderful 21st century innovation, which integrates all the major fields of interest that affect the physical and mental health, and emotional wellbeing, of our counselling clients.
Hello, My name is Jim Byrne.
I am a doctor of counselling, in my twenty-third year in private practice in Hebden Bridge, West Yorkshire; and all over the world via the telephone system and Skype, and/or email exchanges.
I am a Fellow Member of the International Society of Professional Counsellors (FISPC).
I have helped more than one thousand individuals to overcome distressing problems of anger, anxiety, depression, stress, panic, traumatic experience, couple conflict, insecure attachment, personality issues, and so on.
And one of my clients recently told me:
(Spoken during a counselling session): “I am a fully-functioning human being now, for the first time in my life, and that is all down to the help you’ve given to me over the long journey I’ve been on with you!”
My expertise is based on my twenty-two years of counselling and therapy experience with clients who had all manner of problems – plus my professional training at the University of Manchester – and the research and application that went into writing more than twenty books.*** Plus my own lifelong journey from the emotional misery of a loveless family of origin, to the sense of being a complete, happy and healed person, who is at peace with the world, and enjoying every moment of every day in happiness, health and personal success.
I do my work with clients through conversation, which is warm and friendly, and helpful, and insightful, and exploratory, and designed to help you to straighten out your story in your head, and to straighten out your feelings in your heart and your guts. Plus the provision of high-quality documentary follow-up. (The services described below depend a lot of documentary information and educational materials, and so they are ideal for individuals who learn well from reading [and reflective writing]. But if you prefer not to go down that route, then please take a look at my Pure Talk Therapy page***.)
I also give advice on how to manage your body-brain-mind, and your environment, for optimum functioning. This is called Lifestyle Counselling.
At the moment, I am expecting to help individuals who have been badly affected by Covid-19, in terms of developing anger, anxiety or depression in response to the life-threatening virus; the restriction of movement; and the economic impact of the lock-downs.
As indicated elsewhere on this site, we at ABC Coaching and Counselling Services, practice the most up to the minute form of emotive-cognitive therapy. It’s called Emotive-Cognitive Embodied Narrative Therapy (E-CENT), and it integrates the best elements of all the pre-existing systems of counselling and therapy, (while excluding the obviously negative elements!) And it includes a strong focus upon lifestyle factors, like diet, exercise, relaxation and sleep patterns.
I am regulated by the International Society of Professional Counsellors (ISPC), whose code of ethics I follow, and to whose complaints procedures I am subject.
- the Main Service (which costs
£300.00– reduced to £180.00 for the next few months), involves:
- Asking you to complete three or four assessment questionnaires (or more);
- Providing a 45 to 60 minute face to face meeting, which is also part of the assessment process, plus some therapeutic benefits;
- Followed by a Session Review Report, (which I will write and send to you, normally within 36-48 hours of our meeting) which summarizes my analysis of your problems, and lists those resources (information and psycho-educational) which I will send to you over the subsequent 28 days.
- My current practice is to send 5 or 6 documents over a period of 28 days, evenly spaced out, to allow time for you to read and digest each document before the next one arrives.
- At the end of the 28 days, we will have a follow-up counselling session to review what you have been learning. The most likely agenda for this second session will include such questions as these:
- Have you managed to solve some or all of your original problem?
- What outstanding questions or issues do you have?
- How do you now feel about your original problem?
- How can I help you to move further forward in your life? Etc.
- There will not be any follow-up documents after this second counselling session. (Exception: During this period of concessions [2 for 1], I will, of course, send approximately the usual amount of documentary follow-up after the second session).
- If you still need more help to resolve your problem(s), at the end of this first round of my Enhanced Main Service, then you can repeat this Service, or opt for a single session of Pure Talk Therapy for just £120.00 (with no further assessments, and no follow up documents!)
- And if you pay for two rounds of my Enhanced Main Service, or my Pure Talk Therapy service, I am willing to offer you a third session for free.
Two additional services (report-based)
- the Median Two-day Report Service (which follows a similar pattern to the main service, except that I devote two full days to writing a comprehensive report following our meeting; and this service costs £350.00). The report will be sent to you as a complete document, as soon as I complete it (instead of spreading it over 30 days of delivery).
- the Maxi Four-day Report Service (which costs just £700). Because I spend four days working on this version of my report for you, it is much more detailed and specific and elaborated.
For details of the Median and Maxi services, please see any of my specialism pages, below.
If you would like further information, please email me at
Or phone me at 01422 843 629 (inside the UK)
Or on 44 1422 843 629 (from outside the UK)
Or take a look at my Telephone, Skype or Email Counselling Services***.
Schedule of fees: As above…